Hopeful church was chartered on January 6th, 1806. It was founded by a group of colonists from Virginia who settled in Boone County. In 1807, the first log church was built on an acre of donated land. Hopeful did not have a full time pastor until October of 1813 when Rev. William Carpenter (a Revolutionary War veteran) moved to Boone County to be the first Pastor. In 1823, a new log sanctuary was built complete with an end gallery and raised pulpit. By 1837, Hopeful was growing again and the third sanctuary, a brick building, was completed.
Bricks were made on-site and the new church had a finished look with interior paneling and wood floors.
By 1917, the fourth sanctuary was built, which is still used today for the traditional service. This structure featured beautiful stained glass windows, a bell tower, a basement and Sunday School rooms.
As Boone County continued to grow, so did Hopeful Church. In 1956, the church added an educational facility and in 1992 the church added a new fellowship hall, elevators and air conditioning. Due to continuing growth, Hopeful’s fifth Sanctuary, built in 2006, added a larger 350 seat sanctuary complete with state of the art nursery and preschool facilities.
Today, more than 210 years since its founding, Hopeful Church continues to be a warm and friendly place for families to gather and share the word of God. Hopeful is affiliated with the Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ or (LCMC). Join us at one of our services or events to see for yourself how we continue to fulfill our mission. WELCOMING people to faith in Jesus Christ, EQUIPPING people with a faith that works in real life, and SENDING people in service into the world in Jesus' name.